A public showdown between the Pentagon and U.S. Senator Mark Kelly (D-AZ) has escalated into an official review that could place the retired Navy officer back under military authority altogether.

The Department of Defense is reviewing allegations of misconduct against Kelly, a retired Navy captain and astronaut, under military law after a video he appeared in urged U.S. troops to refuse what he described as illegal orders. The FBI is slated to interview Kelly and five other congressional Democrats in relation to a video they took part in, released encouraging U.S. military members to refuse to follow illegal orders, according to NBC News.

The review could lead to his recall to active duty for court-martial or other action. Past cases show resistance to recalling retired officers for court-martial in politically sensitive situations, as such actions risk blurring civil-military boundaries and setting lasting institutional precedent.

Kelly is joined by a small number of other Democratic lawmakers who have expressed similar concerns about military orders and legalities, including Sen. Elissa Slotkin (MI) and House Reps. Jason Crow of Colorado, Maggie Goodlander of New Hampshire, and Chris Deluzio and Chrissy Houlahan, both of Pennsylvania.

President Donald Trump[1] last week accused Kelly and his outspoken Democratic cohorts of “seditious behavior,” calling them “traitors. “In the old days, if you said a thing like that, that was punishable by death," Trump added.

The Pentagon, the headquarters for the U.S. Department of Defense, is seen from the air, Saturday, Sept. 20, 2025, in Arlington, Va. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

IG: No Congressional Request

The DoD Office of Inspector General confirmed to Military.com that it has not received any formal request from Congress to review or investigate Sen. Mark Kelly’s conduct in connection with the Pentagon’s ongoing review.

“The DoD OIG has not received any request from Congress related to Senator Kelly,” spokesperson Mollie F. Halpern told Military.com. 

In a follow-up response, Halpern clarified that while no congressional request has been made, her office does not confirm nor deny the existence or status of any internal work, underscoring the sensitive and highly restricted nature of Inspector General operations during potential legal or administrative proceedings.

Pentagon Signals Possible Recall

Allegations of misconduct against Kelly have triggered a rare and formal Pentagon review under military law. The DoD said in posts on social media that it has received “serious allegations of misconduct” against Kelly and has opened a review under the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ). That’s according to a Department of Defense statement shared on social media.

The Pentagon warned that retired service members remain subject to the UCMJ and cited federal law allowing recall of retirees under certain conditions. Military retirees can remain subject to military law[2] even after leaving active service, meaning certain actions may still fall under the reach of the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

The Pentagon added that all service members must obey lawful orders and that “a servicemember’s personal philosophy does not justify or excuse the disobedience of an otherwise lawful order.”

Department of Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth testifies before the House Committee on Appropriations subcommittee oversight hearing on the Department of Defense, on Capitol Hill in Washington, Tuesday, June 10, 2025. (AP Photo/Jose Luis Magana)

Taking the Fight Online

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth criticized Kelly after the video surfaced.

“So ‘Captain’ Kelly, not only did your sedition video intentionally undercut good order and discipline but you can’t even display your uniform correctly,” Hegseth wrote on X, adding, “When or if you are recalled to active duty, it’ll start with a uniform inspection.”

Hegseth said Kelly was the only person in the video who remains subject to military law, and accused him of bringing discredit upon the Armed Forces.

Sen. Mark Kelly, D-Ariz., speaks during the Senate Armed Services Committee confirmation hearing for Pete Hegseth, President-elect Donald Trump's choice to be Defense secretary, at the Capitol in Washington, Tuesday, Jan. 14, 2025. (AP Photo/Ben Curtis, file)

Kelly responded in a series of posts, leaning on his decades of military and government service while rejecting any claim that he violated orders or threatened good order and discipline.

He framed the Pentagon’s actions not as a legal matter but as political intimidation, pointing to his oath and warning about the danger of using military power to silence dissent. 

“When I was 22 years old, I commissioned as an Ensign in the United States Navy and swore an oath to the Constitution,” Kelly wrote on social media, referencing his time in uniform and later service as a Navy test pilot and NASA astronaut.

“Trump and his Administration are targeting me because I said something they didn’t like—but I won’t be intimidated into silence. I’ve overcome challenges a lot tougher than Donald Trump or Pete Hegseth," he said.

Kelly also warned that rhetoric referencing execution, hanging and violent punishment carries real-world consequences, saying words from elected leaders could “get someone hurt.” Kelly's wife, former U.S. Rep. Gabby Giffords, suffered a severe brain injury after being shot in the head in an assassination attempt during an event in her home state of Arizona in 2012.

Kelly described such language as reckless and un-American, and reiterated that his loyalty remains to the Constitution rather any single leader or administration. 

Senior military officials have previously resisted the idea of recalling retired officers[3] for court-martial in politically sensitive cases, warning that such actions risk blurring civil-military boundaries and setting a dangerous institutional precedent.

© Copyright 2025 Military.com. All rights reserved. This article may not be republished, rebroadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without written permission. To reprint or license this article or any content from Military.com, please submit your request here[4].

Read more

Power Showdown in Washington Over Venezuela Strikes
[1]
Poland Rail Blast Sparks Diplomatic Break and NATO Security Shift
[2]
Post-Shutdown Travelers Brace For Biggest Thanksgiving Week in 15 Years
[3]
'From Difficult to Crisis': How One Community Galvanized Around Military Food Insecurity
[4]
Louisiana Gets Multi-Billion-Dollar Economic Boon From Military Spending
[5]
Veterans Advocate, First Female Puerto Rican Lawmaker Exiting Congress
[6]
$77M For Veterans: ‘Woke’ Biden-Era EV Funding Finds New Home
[7]
Post-Government Shutdown: How Record Closure Impacts Defense, National Security
[8]
Saudi Crown Prince's $1 Trillion Pledge: What Does US Receive?
[9]
US Rebukes Gustavo Petro, Calls Colombian Leader ‘Illegal Drug Dealer’
[10]

Select Service

My Membership

Read more

A fight over who controls war powers is unfolding on Capitol Hill as House Democrats move to force a binding vote that could block President Donald Trump from launching or expanding military action in Venezuela without direct authorization from Congress.

The showdown is unfolding as the Trump administration carries out U.S. strikes it says are aimed at cartel and narcotics operations in the Caribbean, causing lawmakers to confront urgent questions about presidential authority, regional stability, and the risk of a wider conflict. Recent activity involving boat strikes[1] and warship movements near Venezuela has raised questions about the administration’s long-term goals and highlighted how quickly the mission could evolve.

“While Democrats and the fake news have joined forces to push nonsense about President Trump’s authority as commander in chief, the president’s actions to halt the scourge of narco-terrorism are consistent with his responsibility to protect Americans and pursuant to his constitutional authority,” White House spokesperson Anna Kelly told Military.com. “All actions comply fully with the law of armed conflict.”

A senior administration official speaking on background said Congress has received briefings regarding the administration’s actions and legal justification. Lawmakers have expressed[2] competing interpretations of the administration’s authority to act in the region.

House Select Committee on Intelligence ranking member Rep. Jim Himes, D-Conn speaks during the committee's annual open hearing on worldwide threats, at the Capitol in Washington, March 9, 2023. (AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster, File)

'Transparency and Accountability'

A new War Powers Resolution introduced by Rep. Jim Himes (D-CT) is aimed at reasserting congressional authority over the use of force.

“We cannot allow any president to unilaterally drag the United States into a conflict,” Himes said in remarks provided to Military.com.

In the Senate, Democrat Andy Kim of New Jersey echoed that position.

“Decisions of war belong with Congress and the American people,” Kim told Military.com. “Transparency and accountability are non-negotiable when American lives and global stability are at stake.”

 “Transparency and accountability are non-negotiable when American lives and global stability are at stake.”

Democrats argue the vote is necessary to protect the Constitution and prevent the United States from sliding into an undeclared conflict. Republicans counter that the president has broad authority to act against transnational criminal networks and armed groups that threaten American interests and allies.

Military.com contacted multiple U.S. House Republicans seeking comment on the matter.

The Pentagon is seen on Sunday, Aug. 27, 2023, in Washington. (AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster, File)

The pending vote could force difficult decisions for members in swing districts and in states with major ports, military bases, and trade routes tied to the Caribbean basin.

Pentagon Pushes Back

The Pentagon insists the current mission is limited and legally justified.

“These presidentially directed strikes were conducted against the operations of a designated terrorist organization and were taken in defense of vital U.S. national interests and in the collective self-defense of other nations,” Pentagon spokesperson Kingsley Wilson told Military.com.

Wilson said the strikes took place in international waters and emphasized that no U.S. ground forces were deployed. He said precision targeting and strict rules of engagement were used to reduce risk to civilians and American personnel.

Secretary General of the Organization of American States (OAS) Luis Almagro speaks after receiving Guatemala's highest honor, the "Orden del quetzal," at the National Palace in Guatemala City, Friday, Jan. 10, 2025. (AP Photo/Moises Castillo)

Alarm Spreads Across Region

Latin American governments and regional organizations are closely monitoring developments as Washington debates its next move.

The Organization of American States (OAS) urged restraint and stressed the importance of preventing escalation in a region long defined by fragile stability and competing political currents. OAS is the world’s oldest regional organization, operating by four main pillars: democracy, human rights, security and development.

“The Americas remain a zone of peace with no open wars,” an OAS spokesperson told Military.com. “Our shared responsibility is to preserve that peace through dialogue and cooperation.”

The U.S. Capitol is seen behind the trees that have dropped most leaves, Monday, Nov. 24, 2025, in Washington. (AP Photo/Mariam Zuhaib)

Any continued rise in tensions could disrupt energy exports, maritime shipping routes, and regional migration patterns—all of which flow through Caribbean corridors tied to U.S., Latin America and global trade networks.

House leadership is weighing whether to fast-track the War Powers Resolution for a vote. If it passes, the White House could face a direct challenge to its ability to continue or expand military operations without congressional backing.

© Copyright 2025 Military.com. All rights reserved. This article may not be republished, rebroadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without written permission. To reprint or license this article or any content from Military.com, please submit your request here[3].

Read more

More Articles …