Marines stretch during a fitness program designed for pregnant service members at Camp Pendleton, California.

A bipartisan group of lawmakers is pushing to ensure a proposed pilot program to give pregnant service members and dependents specialized mental health[1] care comes to fruition amid a quiet opposition campaign from the Defense Department.

The proposal was included in the House-passed version of the annual defense policy bill, but not the Senate version of the bill. As negotiators hash out a compromise version of the bill that Congress is expected to approve before the end of the year, supporters of the proposal sent a letter to negotiators urging them to include it in the final version.

“Pregnancy is a life changing event, as is postpartum recovery,” Reps. Chrissy Houlahan, D-Pa., and Don Bacon, R-Neb., and Sens. Jeanne Shaheen, D-N.H., and Deb Fischer, R-Neb., wrote to the chairmen and ranking members of the House and Senate Armed Services committees in a letter sent last week that was obtained by Military.com. "We know that you will ensure our servicewomen, and their families, receive the resources that enable them, and therefore our country, to thrive."

Read Next: After Barely Meeting Recruiting Goal, Army Aims to Enlist Thousands More Soldiers in Coming Year[2]

Spokespeople for the committees, which typically do not comment on negotiations while they are ongoing, did not respond to emailed requests for comment on the letter Monday.

The provision in question in the House-passed National Defense Authorization Act, or NDAA, would create a pilot program that would integrate perinatal mental health care into existing obstetric and postpartum care programs at military medical treatment facilities.

The provision is based on a stand-alone bill that was introduced[3] by Houlahan, Bacon, Shaheen and Fischer earlier this year.

The proposal aims to tackle an issue brought to light in a 2022 report from the Government Accountability Office. That report found service members face mental health conditions during the perinatal period, which is the period right before and after giving birth, at a higher rate than civilians. While one in five civilian women will experience depression during or within a year of pregnancy, about one in three service members receive a new mental health diagnosis during or shortly after pregnancy, according to the GAO report[4].

Under the measure included in the House-passed NDAA, the Pentagon would have until 2028 to assess whether the pilot program "was effective in preventing the onset, or reducing the symptoms, of perinatal mental health conditions of pregnant and postpartum members of the armed forces[5] and covered beneficiaries," according to the bill text. The pilot would be available in at least two military medical treatment facilities per Defense Health Agency market.

Despite the proposal garnering bipartisan support, the Pentagon is quietly opposing the provision, a congressional aide familiar with the situation told Military.com on condition of anonymity to discuss behind-the-scenes talks.

The provision was not among the ones highlighted by the White House in a June statement on language it opposes in the House NDAA, nor was it part of the so-called "heartburn letter" that Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin recently sent to the Armed Services committees outlining the department's top concerns with the House and Senate NDAAs. But, the congressional aide said, the department is telling lawmakers that a perinatal mental health pilot program is unnecessary since it is already running a pilot program on providing doulas[6] to service members.

The doula pilot program is only available to service members and dependents going to civilian medical facilities, while the proposed perinatal program would be at military medical facilities. And while doulas can provide emotional support to their clients, they are non-medical professionals whose training focuses on providing guidance about the birthing process.

The proposed pilot program in the House NDAA, by contrast, would focus on “evidence-based activity that ... has been proven to avert the onset, or decrease the symptoms, of a perinatal mental health condition,” according to the bill text.

A Pentagon spokesperson declined to comment Monday on the department's position on the provision.

In their letter to the leaders of Armed Services committees, Houlahan, Bacon, Shaheen and Fischer said the goal of their proposal is to help overall retention of service members and their families. Houlahan and Bacon are both Air Force[7] veterans who led the House Armed Services Committee's military quality-of-life subpanel[8], while Bacon and Fischer are both in tight reelection races.

"With a 20% increase since 2005 in women serving in the military coupled with a 6% decrease in recruitment[9] since 2012, it is imperative that the Department of Defense (DoD) take steps to support the health, readiness and careers of the growing number of women serving in the military as well as fathers impacted by their spouses[10]' maternal mental health," the lawmakers wrote in the letter. "Existing evidence-based prevention programs provide a cost-effective means to improve the health, readiness and lives of our members of the armed forces and their families."

Related: Pregnant Troops and New Military Moms Would Get Expanded Mental Health Care Under Lawmakers' Proposal[11]

© Copyright 2024 Military.com. All rights reserved. This article may not be republished, rebroadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without written permission. To reprint or license this article or any content from Military.com, please submit your request here[12].

Read more

Republican presidential nominee former President Donald Trump speaks at a rally.

NEW YORK (AP) — Donald Trump[1] 's aides have requested a slew of stepped-up security measures, including military aircraft capable of shooting down surface-to-air missiles to transport the former president in the race’s final stretch, amid growing concerns over threats from Iran in a campaign already shaken by violence.

The campaign's highly unusual request comes as the Republican candidate faces death threats from Iran[2], which has also targeted other former Trump administration officials and has also been blamed for a widespread hack[3] of top campaign officials. Trump narrowly survived one assassination attempt[4] and U.S. Secret Service agents foiled a second[5], though neither case has been publicly linked to Iranian actors.

Beyond a military plane, the campaign has asked for special armored vehicles typically reserved for sitting presidents, expanded temporary flight restrictions over his rallies and his residences, reimbursements for decoy aircraft, and more money for the U.S. Secret Service and local law enforcement agencies that assist in Trump’s protection.

Both Trump and his staff have complained that he is being restricted from campaigning the way he wants to because the agency lacks the resources to keep him safe.

The Secret Service insisted Friday that Trump is already “receiving the highest levels of protection." And President Joe Biden told reporters that he would be happy to approve Trump’s request to use military aircraft in the final stages of the campaign, as long as “he doesn't ask for F-15s."

"Look, what I’ve told the department is to give him every single thing he needs for his — as if he were a sitting president,” he said. “Give him all that he needs. If it fits within that category, that’s fine. But it doesn’t, he shouldn’t.”

The new security requests were first reported by the New York Times.

The campaign and Secret Service have gone back and forth 

The Trump campaign’s requests were outlined in a letter to acting Secret Service director Ronald Rowe Jr. from senior Trump campaign adviser Susie Wiles and obtained by The Associated Press.

She asked the Secret Service to pre-position the ballistic glass that Trump now uses for protection at his outdoor rallies in the seven battleground states where he is expected to spend the majority of time in the race’s final stretch.

Currently, it takes more than a week's notice to position the barriers in the right place, according to a person familiar with the requests who, like others, spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss security matters. Trump aides see that advance notice as unrealistic given the frenetic nature of the final days of a campaign, when schedules are adjusted based on incoming polls and campaign strategy, the person said.

In a statement, Secret Service spokesperson Anthony Guglielmi said that since the attempted assassination on July 13 at a rally in Butler, Pennsylvania, the agency “has made comprehensive enhancements to its communications capabilities, resourcing and protective operations" and that Trump “is receiving the highest levels of protection."

He said the Department of Defense regularly provides assistance for Trump's protection, including canine units, and that the Secret Service has been restricting air traffic over the former president’s residence and when he travels.

“Additionally, the former President is receiving the highest level of technical security assets, which include unmanned aerial vehicles, counter unmanned aerial surveillance systems, ballistics and other advanced technology systems,” he said.

Former American presidents are able to use military airlift only if requested by the current president. In April, for instance, former President Bill Clinton used one as he led a U.S. delegation to Rwanda. On Sept. 11, 2021, Biden, Clinton, and former President Barack Obama flew to a remembrance in New York.

Trump has accused Biden of denying him resources 

The Trump campaign for weeks now has accused the U.S. Secret Service of forcing it to cancel or scale back events due to a lack of resources.

That includes a speech in Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin[6], held the same week as the U.N. General Assembly in New York, that was scaled back because the Secret Service couldn't secure a larger rally.

Trump has accused Biden of intentionally denying security resources to help Vice President Kamala Harris, his Democratic opponent, by preventing him from addressing large crowds.

“They couldn’t give me any help. And I’m so angry about it because what they’re doing is interfering in the election,” he said in a recent Fox News interview.

Trump, however, has repeatedly praised his own security detail, commending them for their bravery.

While the Secret Service says Trump already has presidential-level protection, there are differences. Both Biden and Harris, for instance, have military assets, including planes.

Beyond her Sept. 30 letter, Wiles has also spoken with White House Chief of Staff Jeff Zients and others about her concerns about Trump's security and how his ability to campaign has been curtailed by threats.

Zients, according to a person who spoke on condition of anonymity to disclose details of their conversation, connected Wiles to Homeland Security Department and Secret Service leadership after she reached out and made clear that Biden had directed the Secret Service to provide the highest level of protection for Trump.

In a separate letter, Rep. Mike Waltz of Florida, who is close to Trump, urged the Secret Service, Department of Homeland Security, White House and Department of Defense to deploy additional military assets to protect Trump in the face of Iranian threats. He requested that Trump be provided with a military passenger aircraft like those used by cabinet secretaries.

Trump aides call for action against Iran 

Trump has been targeted by Iran, which is believed to want retaliation for his administration’s killing of Iranian Gen. Qassem Soleimani[7].

In August, a Pakistani man alleged to have links to Iran was charged in a plot[8] to carry out political assassinations on U.S. soil. Law enforcement did not name the targets of the alleged plot, but legal filings suggest Trump was a potential target.

Iranian hackers have also been charged with stealing information from Trump’s campaign[9] and trying to pass it along to news organizations. In May, prosecutors say, the men charged began trying to penetrate the Trump campaign, successfully breaking into the email accounts of campaign officials and other Trump allies. They then sought to “weaponize” the stolen campaign material by sending unsolicited emails to people associated with Biden’s campaign. None of the recipients who worked for Biden responded.

Trump's campaign has complained that the Biden White House has downplayed the death threats.

“This administration spends more time focused on a hack of emails than they do the Iranians who are trying to kill Donald Trump," Trump campaign senior adviser Chris LaCivita told reporters in Pennsylvania last weekend. He noted that former President Clinton deployed cruise missiles in retaliation for an Iraqi plot to assassinate former President George H.W. Bush.

“You know he did? He sent a bunch of cruise missiles to send a message,” LaCivita complained. "All they do is put out a press release.”

In a statement, National Security Council spokesman Sean Savett said the Biden administration has been “closely tracking Iranian threats against former President Trump and former Trump administration officials for years, dating back to the last administration.”

“We consider this a national and homeland security matter of the highest priority, and we strongly condemn Iran for these brazen threats,” Savett added, warning that: “Should Iran attack any of our citizens, including those who continue to serve the United States or those who formerly served, Iran will face severe consequences.”

___ 

Associated Press writers Aamer Madhani, Zeke Miller, Rebecca Santana, Lolita C. Baldor and Lisa Mascaro in Washington contributed to this report.

© Copyright 2024 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Read more

More Articles …