2024 AMSUS Annual Meeting in National Harbor, Maryland

Organizers of a conference that brings Defense Department and Department of Veterans Affairs[1] health leadership and military medical professionals together to share ideas excluded "independent media" this year, despite having allowed -- and welcomed -- press coverage for more than a decade.

Reporters who tried to sign up to attend the annual meeting of the AMSUS Society of Federal Health Professionals were told that the media was being excluded this year. Those who managed to sign up received emails that their registrations had been canceled.

According to Kenneth McClain, communications director at AMSUS, media registrations were "not available for independent media organizations."

Read Next:Defense Health Agency Director Ends 32-Year Career with Unceremonious, Abrupt Retirement[2]

When pressed for a reason, McClain said that the decision was made at the "request of speakers who want to be able to speak without attribution."

"AMSUS leadership revised the media pass policy in response to new guidelines affecting sessions and speakers," McClain said. "As a nonprofit, we are not part of the federal government, but to best support our speakers, we will honor their request."

McClain did not provide a definition of what AMSUS considers "independent media" or who might attend or provide information from the conference.

The AMSUS conference is one of the few opportunities each year for members of the military and veterans health community, the U.S. Public Health Service, contractors, vendors, the public and the media to learn about developments and research within the Defense Health Agency, the Veterans Health Administration and the Tricare[3] health program.

The decision to exclude the media follows decisions made by the White House to exclude traditional media such as The Associated Press from Oval Office briefings and institute an annual rotation schedule at the Pentagon Press Office that removed outlets such as NBC News, National Public Radio and The New York Times while bringing in outlets favorable to President Donald Trump, including One America News Network and Breitbart.

The decision also follows turmoil in the Defense Department over the provision of medical care for 9.6 million patients and concern among veterans over the future of health care at the VA.

Since Jan. 1, patients who use the Tricare health program have experienced trouble staying with their providers or finding new ones, as well as delays in specialty referrals and care[4] following a change in contract management to TriWest Healthcare Alliance.

In the Tricare East Region, some providers have not been paid in more than eight weeks [5]following a switch in claims processors.

Many military hospitals are short-staffed[6], resulting in long waits for care or referrals to private care in communities that may not have the capacity to handle the patient load.

At the VA, veterans are closely watching efforts to expand community care[7] -- medical services provided to veterans by private physicians but paid for by the VA. While some patients have reported delays in receiving referrals to community care, others want to be seen at the VA and would like to see improvements in VA facilities.

Many of those subjects were to be addressed at various sessions at AMSUS. The top leaders of the Defense Health Agency and Acting VA Under Secretary for Health Dr. Steven Lieberman are slated to speak, as are the service surgeons general.

Topics include the future of Army[8], Navy[9] and Air Force[10] medical response; the state of the military health system; quality and safety in the military system; mental health care for service members; veterans suicide prevention; and more.

Nonprofit conferences may not meet a requirement under a law known as the Sunshine Act guaranteeing media access to meetings.

An attorney with the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press said it was not clear whether the conference would be covered by the act. However, he added, allowing the press access to public functions is "paramount for a transparent and accountable government."

"To prohibit independent media from covering such a consequential convening at a time of such rapid change does a disservice to the goal of keeping the public informed and engaged," wrote Gunita Singh, an RCFP staff attorney, in an email to Military.com.

Related: New App to Let Patients at 5 Military Hospitals Get Access to Health Care Through Their Phones[11]

© Copyright 2025 Military.com. All rights reserved. This article may not be republished, rebroadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without written permission. To reprint or license this article or any content from Military.com, please submit your request here[12].

Read more

A painting of a bombardment of a fort.This week, Americans honor the enduring spirit of patriotism embodied in National Anthem Day, celebrated March 3. 

The annual recognition allows Americans to commemorate the valor of Francis Scott Key, whose words — scribed amid the chaos of the Battle of

Read more

Defense Health Agency Director Lt. Gen. Telita Crosland

Army[1] Lt. Gen. Telita Crosland, the Defense Health Agency's top official, retired last week, according to a surprise announcement from the Pentagon on Friday.

Dr. Stephen Ferrara, acting assistant secretary of defense for health affairs, said Crosland, who had served as the agency's director for two years, was "beginning her retirement" effective Friday. No reason was given for her departure; Crosland had been scheduled to speak Monday at the AMSUS Society of Federal Health Professionals' annual meeting in National Harbor, Maryland.

Her departure follows the high-profile firings last month of top military leaders[2], including Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. "CQ" Brown, Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Lisa Franchetti, Air Force[3] Vice Chief of Staff Gen. Jim Slife, and the services' top attorneys.

Read Next: Fear and Chaos Hit Military Families After Sudden Firings of Top Leaders[4]

"I want to thank Lt. Gen. Crosland for her dedication to the nation, to the Military Health System, and to Army Medicine for the past 32 years," Ferrara said in a statement.

Crosland graduated from the U.S. Military Academy[5] at West Point[6], New York, in 1989 and earned her medical degree from the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences before embarking on a career as a family medicine physician.

She was the fourth director of the Defense Health Agency and the third Black woman to reach the rank of lieutenant general in the Army.

When she assumed the role of DHA director, she pledged to focus on serving patients[7], creating a Defense Department medical system that best served active-duty members and their families.

Under her watch, the DHA completed the rollout of its MHS Genesis[8] electronic health records system, a $5.5 billion program that provided and managed a new medical records system built to be interoperable with the Department of Veterans Affairs[9] system.

The DHA also consolidated the organization's 20 regional medical markets into nine networks led by a general or flag officer who has responsibilities for both the service medical command duties -- taking care of active-duty personnel -- and the DHA, which manages hospitals, training, supplies, procurement, and the Tricare[10] health program for military dependents and retirees.

The news also follows reports of short- or understaffed military health facilities including Naval Hospital Bremerton[11], Washington, which planned to transfer roughly 700 Medicare-eligible internal medicine patients to civilian providers since shortages left the clinic manned with one physician for 2,200 beneficiaries, according to the Kitsap Sun[12].

Other hospitals, like Naval Hospital Okinawa, also have been chronically understaffed[13], resulting in stress for military personnel and families.

And last month, deferred maintenance at the system's premier medical facility, Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland -- where President Donald Trump is scheduled to receive his annual physical next month -- caused flooding and other system failures[14] that delayed surgeries and sent patients elsewhere.

Since Jan. 1, patients who use the Tricare health program also have experienced delays in specialty referrals[15] and care, while some providers still have not been paid[16] in more than eight weeks following a changeover in Tricare regional contract management companies and payment processors in the Tricare East and West Regions.

As a result of those problems, Crosland issued a letter Feb. 3[17] to all Tricare beneficiaries saying the DHA had taken a number of steps to fix the issues and aimed to insulate patients from the turmoil.

"Individuals who need health care should get that care regardless of TriWest's ability to manage the process," Crosland wrote, referring to the Tricare West regional contractor, which assumed management of the West Region on Jan. 1.

According to Ferrara, Dr. David Smith, who served as assistant secretary of defense for health affairs in 2017 and from 2021 to 2022, will serve as acting DHA director.

Military.com reached out to Crosland on Monday for comment. She said she had nothing more to add than what had been released.

Related: Tricare to Allow Patients in Tricare West Region to Receive Specialty Care Without Preapproval[18]

© Copyright 2025 Military.com. All rights reserved. This article may not be republished, rebroadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without written permission. To reprint or license this article or any content from Military.com, please submit your request here[19].

Read more

More Articles …